Silverspoon


In class questions:

What is the reaction to the text that you just read? (Chapters 1-2 of SilverSpoon)

My first initial reaction to this was that it was pretty funny. Here's this kid from a pretty high up there prep school with no prior knowledge to farming in any context what so ever goes to a school where it's literally nothing but farm culture. He believes that he'll be the best of his entire class solely on the fact that he memorized everything when it comes to the book learning knowledge about farming but has no experience and no real dream on what type of farmer he wants to be, so all in all based off the first two chapters alone it's pretty hilarious. The structure of the story telling is also compelling and keeps the reader's interest through out the entire time, and if you didn't know anything about farming before you now get a sense for it through the information it gives through crude humor sometimes but humor never the less.

What connections did you make with the story? (Chapters 1-2 of SilverSpoon)

  • Discuss the elements of the work with which you were able to connect
Sooooo . . . .hmm . . . I think a connection to me was with the main character of this story. I enjoyed how blunt he was despite being a tad bit snobby in the beginning. He's trying to get away from home and his goal is to be at the top of the class. Originally I had that same thought as a teenager "I don't want to live with my parents anymore" "I wanna be the top person" "I want to be knowledgeable" etc. So was easily relatable in that content, now I'm unsure of how things play out after the first 2 chapters but i am interested in seeing how he grows.

What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make? (Chapters 1-2 of SilverSpoon)

Hmmm . . . if it were up to me . . . I'd say I would love to make this into a stop motion feature! There wouldn't be many changes made other than to make more storyboard panels to have a good sense of pacing for specific scenes in the story, and I feel like and "anime" style stop motion piece hasn't been done before. So using the theme of farming you could do a lot with different comedy scenes and even the serious static moments. 

Comments

Popular Posts